By Anne O'Brien
After the demise of her stepfather, woman Rosamund de Longsprey idea to prevent an prepared marriage with a repugnant guy through taking to her newly inherited lands. regardless of the deplorable stipulations and missed lands, Rose is decided to make it paintings as the replacement isn't whatever she is prepared to do. regrettably for Rose, Lord Gervase Fitz Osbern is simply as made up our minds to take again his lands that have been stolen from his family members. Fitz Osbern exhibits up and speedy takes keep an eye on of the citadel a lot to the chagrin and annoyance of Rose. either are confident of sole possession, and either are obstinately attempting to oust the opposite. Neither one is keen to offer any flooring, nor will both one put up. Will an individual live on? And who will lay declare to the lands?
I completely enjoyed this tale. I occurred upon this prize relatively by chance as i used to be shopping the cabinets of a neighborhood paperback trade book place. The blurb at the again stuck my awareness, however it was once some time ahead of I opened it. i used to be fast stuck up within the tale and the characters; I quickly chanced on myself racing to learn to determine the way it could all finish. either Rose and Gervase are robust and dominate characters. fortunately, they stayed precise to these traits through the tale and nonetheless had a truly pleasurable end.
The first scene we learn is of Gervase taking up the property. It comes throughout fairly brutally, and that i came upon myself asking the query "how am I to love this man?" Then, the tale flashes again 2 weeks and we see issues from the start and WOW. i used to be hooked.
What I enjoyed:
1. woman Rose--she is astounding! She is opinionated, made up our minds, crafty, proud, and clever. She can also be compassionate and courageous. I enjoyed that she grew because the tale advanced. certain, she used to be blameless of some ways of the area, yet she wasn't overly naïve and silly approximately it. She used to be headstrong, occasionally to her detriment, yet consistently for a cause.
2. Lord Gervase--what a hottie! He used to be robbed of his lands and stole them correct again. even if he's an honorable knight, he performs the position of a rowdy brigand in hopes it is going to ship Rose working. His makes an attempt are fairly humorous due to the fact that he betrays himself with acts of generosity and civility every now and then. And as soon as he cleans himself up...all his traditional attraction fairly shines through.
3. Contess Petronilla and Lord Hugh de Mortimer--Rose's mom and Gervase's good friend further a pleasant contact of sanity to stability out the bullheadedness of either Rose and Gervase. additionally, I enjoyed Rose's mother for simply being there and being a mother. She wasn't controlling, yet supportive.
4. The Undermining of Authority--I enjoyed the subtleties (and no longer so sophisticated methods) utilized by either Rose and Gervase to achieve the higher hand. I additionally liked that it wasn't consistently one who got here out on best. actually, it usually appeared considered. It's infuriating to learn tales the place the girl is so naïve that she is needs to be rescued via an all realizing guy. right here, we had a well-balanced conflict the place nobody ever appeared to actually be accountable for the situation.
5. The Romance--with such headstrong humans, there's absolute to be sparks after they meet. They either slowly and punctiliously fall in love with the opposite. And it used to be effortless to determine why they enjoyed every one other.
6. The Ending--with either made up our minds to be the conqueror, it used to be nail-biting to attend and notice how obdurate humans might come jointly with no filing. It was once good performed. I enjoyed how Rose placed to take advantage of the unorthodox suggestion of the Queen.
What I didn't like:
The in basic terms factor that I didn't like was once different flashbacks: it used to be a section complicated from time to time. Am I studying anything occurring at once? Or did this ensue previously?
All in all, i actually loved this tale. It was once a hugely enjoyable tale with plausible characters and an emotional romance. this can be one I'm going to carry directly to and never ship again to the paperback alternate shop.